All vehicles and drivers licenced in Saskatchewan are insured by the provincial Auto Fund (SAF). This provides only the minimum insurance required by law. For private passenger vehicles this includes:
- $200,000 liability protection
- $700 deductible for vehicle damage
- Personal injury coverage
As basic plate insurance provides only minimum coverage, most Saskatchewan drivers want the additional coverages provided by auto extension packages available through their insurance broker. These products offer:
- Added Liability Protection gives you liability coverage options over the basic $200,000 provided by your basic licence plate liability coverage to as high as $5,000,000. It also provides coverage for claims due to a trailer used with your vehicle or in your care.
- Family Security coverage that protects you and your family in the event that you are injured by an uninsured or under-insured motorist.
- Lower Deductibles are available with an extension policy. You can choose either $500, $350, $200, $100 or $50 deductible. The deductible is the amount you must pay before your insurance takes over and pays the remaining costs of a claim.
- Increased Injury Benefits are available and vary depending on whether you have chosen No Fault Coverage or Tort Coverage with your basic licence plate coverage. For details on these coverages see a broker in our office who will be happy to explain the options available.
- Non-owned Driver coverage provides you, your spouse and dependent children coverage while driving a vehicle you do not own. The coverage matches the coverage you purchase for your own vehicle. This is important coverage when you rent or borrow someone else's vehicle. It protects you in the event that the owner does not have adequate insurance. Some limitations apply so see your policy for details.
Each insurer offers other options that can be selected when you purchase an auto extension package. Some of these options include:
- Replacement or Repair Cost coverage on new vehicles.
- Road Hazard Glass coverage with deductibles as low as $50.
- Loss of Use coverage pays for your transportation costs if your vehicle is stolen or damaged.
- Trailer coverage protects your trailer against the same types of loss as your vehicle other than loss of use.
Other coverages available include:
- Antique vehicles
- Motor homes, cabin or tent trailers
- All Terrain Vehicles (auto or property policy depending on insurer)
- Unlicenced vehicles
Please talk to one of our licenced brokers for more details on these coverages. Alternatively, use the eQuote button to the left to obtain a quote and to buy personal auto insurance from SGI Canada online.